Thursday, August 15, 2013

Guy in a garden


Well, I'M STILL TREKKING! 

When I first typed that auto correct spit out, 'I'm STILL REEKING'....well that may be true (camping folks...hike, sweat, travel, get too lazy to shower, sleep, repeat) but I don't need auto correct to throw it in my face. Gosh.

I've made it to the sunny, palm tree land of Venice CA, but I've been without computer time for awhile so it's time to catch you up...so where were we...

Our last full day in Portland was just as magical as the first, (and second) and we went for a hike to Triple Falls (see right), walked on top of the falls and snapped a pic then walked in Oneonta gorge to reach Oneonta falls. In order to get to these falls one must first prepare to get wet...we're talking wading in chest-high waters, and letting out the appropriate yips when you realize these waters don't see the warm sunshine but maybe a half hour a day....MAYBE.

The trail starts with you climbing over, under and around felled trees that have become smooth driftwood from the waters persuasion over time. After this obstacle it's in to the water for you, but make sure to look up every so often to admire the gorge all around you...it'll make you feel small and your problems smaller. Except for that water, Yup, it's still chilly. On the way we passed people who tried scaling the rocks in flip flops and despite their efforts they decided to run near the waterfall anyway so that we could snap a picture for them and  in return they did it for us. When you've dunked your head and you're done with the awe of it all, turn around and repeat, yips and all. 

Trees of drift

You can't tell here but she's grunting...seriously
After the hikes, yips and dips I had to mail out a few postcards and a birthday present for a very special 5 yr old and did so in this tiny tiny post office, and in it was a tiny tiny worker! Just kidding, but there was a woman working there who was super sweet and had lived in NYC for awhile so we got our chat on.
"Is this still in operation?!"

The rest of the afternoon was spent hanging in Joelles backyard, reading, journal writing, and hammocking and the night included a walk to Mississippi ave to check out shops (including the one from Portlandias 'put a bird on it' skit, homemade grilled falafel dinner from a great food truck named Wolf and Bear, and ended with a few drinks sampling some local spots. 

The following day we packed up for the Redwoods and had breakfast in a tin shed. As we were driving away Jen was asking me if I could see myself in this city and I was listing all the reasons why I could, mentioning the fact that there was a guy in a garden who we were driving past and at that exact moment he looked right up at me and smiled. Our windows were up and there was no way he could have heard me. Is this a sign Portland?

We drove to Redwood National Park with enough time to set up our campsite in the daylight (score), go for a baby hike around some ancient redwoods (double score) and successfully built a fire to cook our soup and water for hot chocolate just in three nick of time before thunderstorm town rolled in. We ate in the dry car, discussed how we were probably going to sleep in the car if the rain didn't quit, and slept in the tent anyway because we're rugged now...and because the rain stopped...but that's not the point. 

Small Trees

The next day was our last hike together because believe it or not, but we have been traveling for almost a month now and in two days time Jen and I would be going our separate ways. We had decided on a 7.2-mile hike that goes along the California coast, up a few ridges and spits out in a fern canyon. This hike was beautiful and while the fog took our coast view, it added a creepy mist amongst the redwoods and insanely green plant life. I've never been to a rainforest but this was the closest thing to what my mind thinks is one. We ended our last hike by taking a picture of our boots together since they've been on this journey together too...aw.

About six hours and three food stops later (don't mind us) we arrived in San Francisco! Well, really Berkeley, but potato potahto. We were staying with my friend Yvette, who I worked with during my second year with Americorps and she greeted us with a big hug and a home-cooked meal...it doesn't get much better than that.
The next day we had tickets for Outside Lands which is a big music festival in golden gate park so we woke up with the quickness, ate delicious freshly- made scones (Yvette spoiled us) and took the Bart which is the Bay Area subway system into San Francisco. The festival was a blast and we sang, drank, ate, were chilly yet merry, danced and left completely exhausted. 

The next day Jen left to go visit her uncle in Santa Cruz and I don't think I was entirely prepared for her departure...what do you mean now I'm on this trip alone?! I tried to stall but she wasn't buying it so we hugged, said our see ya laters and she drove off into the fog. (insert sad face)

The next few days I spent hoofing it around San Fran on my own going to see Fishermans Wharf and Pier 39, the Haight-Ashbury district, the Mission district and the Golden Gate Bridge (which I actually never got to see because it was so foggy). I ran to some of Berkeleys best views, and biked to Oakland to volunteer at Ghost Town Farms, from the book "Farm City". I also met the author Novella Carpenter! She's rad. At night I would meet up with Yvette for dinner and catch-up time and before I knew it I was packing up to board a 12-hour Amtrak down the Pacific coast to LA. 
Right now I'm hanging by the beach while Rya is working (I'm staying with her in Venice) and I'm about to have my first swim in the Pacific Ocean. Boo yah!

More pictures? You got it dude.

Portland Outdoorsy store
Bikes bikes bikes

On top of Triple Falls


Looking into the gorge  
Oneonta Falls!
We met this guy on our way back from the gorge...hey guy 
O.I.P. 
Feet, meet the Pacific coast. 

 Purple clover leaf
  
Look at those gills #sciencenerdmoment 
Good Camo Mr. Frog 
red..wood..
Fern 
  
Elkface
photobombed at Outside Lands
 
Outside Lands before it got crazy
 
We get it Phoenix, you know how to use the light switch
 
Neighborhood cat in San Fran that walks you down the block! Anddd a lime I picked from a tree by the street 
 View of Berkeley from my run

"A ship in port is safe, but that's not what ships are built for."

The famous Golden Gate Bridge everyone... #stupidfog

 The bee hive at Ghost Town



Lake in Oakland
 
Yvette's snake Sunkist eating a rat #yum
Run on the Marina looking at San Fran (tiny golden gate is in the distance)
On the Pacific Starlight Amtrak to LA...we live in a beautiful country

 Amtrak views

Life is a beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment