Tuesday, August 6, 2013

100+ Miles and a Face Full of Nachos

With a few days left of Seattle to recount I'll just give a fast little update.

The day after our 19-mile hike Rya and I somehow woke up feeling refreshed so we went for a run along the river close to Natasha's house and then quickly got readIng and headed toward Capitol Hill. It was a classic Seattle rainy day so the girls were going to drive around to see the sites, but I had been in contact with an urban farm called Alleycat Acres and planned on volunteering that afternoon so I put on my rain jacket and went out to get mah fingers dirty. The two workers I met, Ryan and Dominic, were both super cool and together we all planted Red and Purple Carrots, Swiss and Rainbow Chard and then picked some Turnips and BLACKBERRIES. I get really excited just thinking about them because they were absolutely out of this world...all I would have had to do was smash them in a jar and they would win "most amazing jam ever" at the county fair and I would be a celebrity in the jammin' community and it would be a great day.

We had no berry containers so a disc worked perfectly, and it's not like they lasted long. That one in her hand? Straight to mouthtown.

 After a few hours of work in the rain we all left the farm to find dry places so I met back up with Jen, Rya and Natasha and we went to take some staple Seattle pictures of the skyline with the Space Needle...

See..I wasn't lying

We then said our "see you laters" to Rya as she boarded her flight back to LA, and the three leftover gals had an easy night watching the 'horror' flim "Cabin in the Woods," over a bottle of wine and Stacey's Cinnamon Sugar pita chips...no judging.

Our last day in Seattle was spent at SeaFair which is where you watch Hydroplane races on Lake Washington, and I had no idea what a hydroplane was outside of a dangerous car situation but apparently it's a popular Seattle past-time so we spent the afternoon watching the races, walking around the fair and doing push-ups for free swag andI the army guy in charge took his push-up-counting job way too seriously. I still got a free flashlight so what up now?

Later on I hung out with the troll under the bridge (who has an actual VW bug under his left hand) and went to a bar called The Shelter that has a fire pit in the middle of the room where people make s'mores for free! They ALSO had peanut butter jalapeno poppers which were ridiculous and I will absolutely try to recreate them at my earliest convenience.
I need S'more time 

On Sunday Jen and I left Seattle to head towards Portland, stopping first at Mt. St Helens for some hiking. We had thought to summit, since it's much easier to do after it lost over 4,000 ft. in elevation in the 1980 eruption, but apparently you still need a permit to summit and we were not on top of it...literally? Instead we chose a different route so we had to SETTLE for these views...



Mt. Adams 

She's gonna blow!...too soon?

During this jaunt around Mt. St Helens we began tallying how many miles we had hiked on this trip thus far and concluded that this one made us surpass the 100-mile mark! A pleasant surprise for sure, and how do we celebrate such an occasion? Nachos. Supreme Nachos. It wasn't the plan, we actually discussed going to buy salad ingredients post-hike for an awesome and healthy dinner, but as we left the trail and headed towards our car we noticed a food truck had appeared in the parking lot and it was really just TAUNTING us. We figured ordering nachos to split was a good appetizer idea but NOOOO. This plate of nachos was 6 inches tall and bigger than my face. We clearly had no intention on finishing it when we saw how serious it was and were discussing either a.) saving it for later? b.) pawning the leftovers off on other ravenous hikers c.) admitting defeat and tossing it. There was no option for finishing, that was just not possible. Nope. Can't do it... Although in the end...

Ugh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment